Reporting to the Manager and Executive Director for all financial aspects of the AMT office
University of Canberra, Enterprise Agreement 2013–2015
Level 8 $90,763 pro rata + 17% superannuation
Contract position: 0.8 FTE for an initial 12 months; subsequent ongoing 0.6 FTE position subject to negotiation
The Australian Mathematics Trust (AMT) is a national non-profit organisation whose purpose is to enrich the teaching and learning of mathematics for students of all standards. We hold mathematics and informatics competitions, administer enrichment activities, conduct workshops for students and teachers, and publish books on mathematical enrichment for Australian and international students. The AMT recruits and supports Australia’s international mathematics and informatics Olympiad teams.
The Accountant reports to the Executive Director of AMT, working closely with the Manager, for the efficient and effective management of the financial function of AMTT Limited, which includes providing the necessary services to AMT.
The Accountant is responsible for preparing monthly and quarterly financial reports to Australian Accounting Standards, preparation and monitoring of all Department budgets, facilitation and monitoring of investments according to investment policy, and management of finance officers in all areas to ensure accurate processing of accounts and payroll.
Objectives of the position
- Manage the day-to-day running of the organisation’s finance function, processes and systems
- Ensure the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of the accounting and payroll reporting systems
- Assist management with reporting to stakeholders including government, board, board sub-committees and auditors
- Apply, monitor and report on internal financial controls and processes across the organisation
- Assist finance officers with routine tasks during peak times and leave absences
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Provide timely reports to the Board of the AMT, which will enable members to assess the financial situation of the organisation
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports, as required, on income, expenditure and assets for each Department
- Prepare financial accounts to Australian Accounting Standards; liaise with and assist auditors during the course of the audit, follow up recommendations made by auditors
- Develop policies and procedures within the finance team
- Develop the ACCPAC system and use as required for periodic reports and budgets; develop any other financial area, as required.
- Develop annual detailed budgets for all Departments; liaise with appropriate persons within the organisation and consolidate the budgets
- Monitor the performance of all Departments against budgets
- Develop cash flow budgets, monitor cash flows, and recommend investment policies that cater for cash needs and temporary cash surpluses; ensure compliance with investment policy
- Develop a capital expenditure budget
- Develop internal controls to ensure necessary approval and appropriate costing for all expenditure
- Provide costing and recommended prices for books published
- Review six-monthly physical stocktakes and reconciliation to inventory records, review stock levels for obsolescence
- Supervise finance officers in all areas to ensure accurate processing of input, and financial reporting
- Oversee the maintenance of salary and superannuation records and the timely and accurate processing of payroll
Attend AMT Finance Committee meetings, follow up on decisions
- Ensure compliance with appropriate legislation
- As a small office, we expect that the accountant is able and prepared to support other activities when required.
- Experience in the preparation of general purpose financial statements
- Ability to manage, lead and guide a small finance team
- Hands-on experience with at least one accounting system
- Experience in policy and procedure development
- General payroll knowledge including taxes
- Experience in BAS preparation
- Knowledge of FBT
- Knowledge of superannuation legislation and reporting requirements
- Good working knowledge of Excel
- Ability to develop cash flow projections and monitor cash and investments
- Ability to prepare detailed budgets
- Ability to liaise with senior management at finance committee and board level
- Preparedness to assist finance officers with routine work during peak times or leave absences
- Knowledge of the ACCPAC accounting system
- Knowledge/experience with Crystal Reporting
- Knowledge/experience with D-Bit payroll
- Salary packaging experience
The AMT is offering this 0.8 FTE contract for an initial 12 months; subsequently, an ongoing 0.6 FTE position may be negotiated. Candidates requiring flexible working arrangements are encouraged to apply.
Submit your application including CV and a cover letter addressing selection criteria to email@example.com by close of business Thursday 14 May 2015.
- Demonstrated experience and success at a senior level in a similar position
- Strong analysis and risk management planning skills; ability to meet reporting deadlines and solve complex issues
- Demonstrated experience in policy and procedures development
- Leadership skills and experience in managing staff including performance management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and an interest in promoting the objectives of the organisation
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- Demonstrable knowledge or experience of the ACCPAC accounting system or other accounting system, Crystal Reporting and D-Bit payroll system
Applications are due close of business Thursday 14 May 2015. Interviews will be held on 18–19 May 2015.
For information regarding this position, please contact Helen Krig at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 6201 2954.