Peter Taylor: Academic Background
- B.Sc. University of Adelaide 1967
- B.Sc. (Hons, Maths) University of Adelaide 1968
- Ph.D. (Applied Maths) University of Adelaide 1972
- Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Rousse, Bulgaria, 04 August 2003
- BH Neumann Award, Australian Mathematics Trust, April 1993.
- Paul Erdös Award, World Federation of National Mathematics Competitions,
- Fellow of Australian College of Educators (FACE), July 1999.
- Medal of the Latvian Mathematical Society, August 2000.
- AMSI Distinguished Service Award
Concurrent with above
- 1966-1971 Part-time tutor in Mathematics, University of Adelaide
- 1972 Assistant Lecturer in Mathematics, Canberra College of Advanced Education
- 1973-1980 Lecturer in Mathematics, Canberra College of Advanced Education
- 1981-1989 Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, Canberra College of Advanced Education
- 1990-1994 Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, University of Canberra
- 1994-1995 Associate Professor of Mathematics, University of Canberra
- 1994- Executive Director, Australian Mathematics Trust
- 1996- Professor of Mathematics and (at times) Adjunct Professor of Education, University of Canberra
- 1978 Visiting Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics, Open University (UK)
- 1986 Visiting Senior Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian Defence Force Academy
- 1992-1995 Head, Mathematics, University of Canberra
- 1994-1995 Head, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Canberra
Text of Talks, Articles
- 1979-1994 Chairman, Australian Mathematics Competition Problems Committee
- 1979-1984 Member Union Board, Canberra College of Advanced Education (later
University of Canberra) (Chairman 1984)
- 1987-2004 Director UC Superannuation Fund Limited and its predecessor
(Chairman after 1993, assets up to AUD60M under management)
- 1992- Member, Board of Australian Mathematics Trust
- 1992 Co-Chair TSG on Competitions, ICME-7, Quebec, Canada
- 1996-2000 Senior Vice-President, World Federation of National Mathematics Competitions
- 1996-2004 Member, Board of Directors, Australian Science Olympiads Inc
- 1996-1998 Treasurer, National Science Summer School, Inc
- 2000 Co-Chair with T Andreescu (USA), TSG 18 Competitions, ICME-9, Tokyo, Japan
- 2004 Co-Chair with Frederic Gourdeau (Quebec, Canada), DG 16 The role of mathematical competitions in mathematics education,
ICME-10, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2012 Co-Chair with Roza Leikin (Israel), TSG 3 Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness, ICME-12, Seoul, Korea, July 2012
- 1990 paper "Birth of the Tournament of Towns",
with NN Konstantinov and JB Tabov, from "Mathematics Competitions", Vol 3, No 2.
- 1995 Self-Profile published in Maths Trust's
in-house Journal The Globe after having been appointed
as Executive Director of the Trust, revised slightly in 1999.
- 1998 Plenary Lecture at WFNMC3 at
ZhongShan, China (July), on Wider Role of Competitions in Mathematics Education.
- 1998 Plenary Lecture at October Conference Technology in
the Classroom hosted by Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers.
- Article on visit to
Königsberg Bridges in 2000, published in Mathematics Competitions, December 2000.
- Hanna Neumann Memorial Lecture, AAMT Biennial Conference, Sydney, 18 January, 2005.
Title: Challenging mathematics and its role in the learning process
- Fellow, Australian College of Educators
- Fellow, The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (UK),
together with this Chartered Mathematician
- Fellow, The Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications
- Member, Australian Mathematical Society
- Member, Mathematics Association of America
- Member, American Mathematical Society
- Member, Australian and New Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ANZIAM)
- Member, Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
- Member, Canberra Mathematical Association
- Member, TeX Users Group (TUG).