What teachers and students think
Do you have a classroom full of great problem solvers?
One way to find out is through the Australian Mathematics Competition (AMC)
Wednesday 4 August 2021 – Friday 6 August 2021
Australian entries close: 30 July 2021 (online), 25 June 2021 (paper)
International entries close: 30 July 2021 (online), 25 June 2021 (paper)
Cost: A$6.50 (Australia & New Zealand)
The AMC is an engaging 30-problem competition that demonstrates the importance and relevance of mathematics in students’ everyday lives; it is open to students in years 3 to 12. Australia’s leading educators and academics, with a deep understanding of our national curriculum standards, actively design the unique AMC problems each year.
The AMC is coordinated by teachers in schools. Our competition is fully online, with a paper version of the competition also available. We offer ongoing support and resources before the competition and on the day.
Held in term 3, the AMC has five divisions: Middle Primary (years 3–4), Upper Primary (years 5–6), Junior (years 7–8), Intermediate (years 9–10) and Senior (years 11–12). The AMC is available in both printed and online format, it doesn’t matter where your school is located. And, of course, there are special arrangements for visually impaired students and distance education organisations. If you need the paper version of the competition, we encourage you to register your students ASAP to allow for the possible slower delivery of competition papers in 2021.
We are a not-for-profit entity and we make our entry fees consistent with our status. Entries fees cost A$6.50 per student including GST in Australia. The fee varies from time-to-time between countries depending on costs such as postage and freight.
Teachers in home-schools are eligible to register as school co-ordinators and run our competitions. If you would like to do so, please download, fill out and return this registration form to this email address with proof of your home school registration in your state or territory.
What happens if there are COVID-19 school closures?
We will refund schools that are unable to run an AMT competition in 2021 due to COVID-19 government-mandated school closures. In some cases, we may also offer an official competition second round. See the AMT COVID-19 page for more information.
Register for competitions now!
All Australian and New Zealand schools
All Australian and New Zealand schools including registered home schools
Coaching clinics and businesses
All Australian and New Zealand coaching clinics and businesses
Schools, businesses and coaching clinics outside Australia and New Zealand
How to run the AMC at your school
- FAQs. Find out how to register for the AMC plus lots more.
- AMC Coordinator’s Handbook (paper competition). Everything you need to know about the paper version of the competition including preparation, running it on the day and what to do afterwards.
- AMC Coordinator’s Handbook (online competition). Everything you need to know about the online version of the competition including preparation, running it on the day and what to do afterwards.
- AMC scoring system. See how we score questions in the AMC.
- Letter to parents and consent form. If you’d like parent consent for student participation in the AMC, this is a ready-to-send letter and consent form.
How to prepare your students
- Problemo is AMT’s online teacher platform that has an extensive library of quality maths problems. You can easily search and filter problems to work through them in class or set quizzes for students to do individually.
- AMC preparation bundles on Problemo. Problemo Free subscribers receive three bundles in the lead up to the AMC and Problemo Plus users receive the full set of six bundles. Available until 13 August 2021.
- Problemo Student is a free problem-solving platform that allows students to test their skill in mathematics and informatics. It’s packed with problems covering a range of topics and year levels. They can jump in anytime and try one question or work their way through a series based on a topic.
- AMT competition student practice portal. This is the same place students go on the day of the competition. We’ve added practice questions here so students can familiarise themselves with the online platform before the AMC.
- AMT’s online shop holds a range of AMC past papers and solutions that are great for student practice. Download a single past paper for free or buy AMC compilation books that hold papers and solutions for multiple years.
Download the AMT poster for your school